Bringing Fred Home
On Sunday, January 24, 2016, was Latrobe Art Center’s Reveal Party. The evening started off with a Tribute to Mr. Fred Rogers. A Live Performance by John Carosella and David Seremet of The Cabaret Theater. Following the performance, Miss Gabi announced The Reveal. The Latrobe Art Center and City of Latrobe are partnering to Bring Mr. Fred Rogers Home.
In 2014, Mary Vanden Burk, a home schooled, high school student of Latrobe, applied for the Historical Marker for Fred Rogers. In 2015, the marker was approved. Once approved, the question was asked. . .”What do we do??” “How do we do it??”
- The Marker will bear an inscription honoring Mr. Fred Rogers’ legacy and denoting Latrobe as his birthplace.
- The Marker will be placed in James H. Rogers Memorial Park, in downtown Latrobe. This park was named after Fred’s Father.
- Fred Rogers will also be memorialized with a life-size bronze statue of him sitting on a bench holding the neighborhood trolley.
- It has been decided that on Saturday, June 11th, 2016 at 1:43pm the dedication of the Marker and unveiling of the statue will take place.
In addition to the dedication and unveiling of the statue, LAC has created a few smaller events leading up to the major one.
- A Sweater Party at Rizzo’s on March 19th to remember Fred’s Birthday
- A Daniel Tiger Tie-Dye T-shirt Party in Rogers Park for the Children on May 14th.
- A Formal Neighborhood Gala the evening before the dedication on June 10th. A wine, beer and food tasting event with live entertainment that will have you dancing the night away.
- And finally, Dedication Day will be a Family Fun Day in the Neighborhood with Daniel Tiger himself, Trolley Rides, Puppet Shows, Food, Live Music, Theatre and more.